Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Ministry 101: Your Ministry Identity (July 5, 2017)



(I created this column to provide insight and encouragement to those who are young and in ministry. I have served on paid ministry staff since I was eighteen years old and there are so many things I wish people had told me about being a young leader. If you’re young and in ministry (or regardless of age, if you’re in ministry at all) I truly hope that this encourages you.)



I love being in ministry. I. LOVE. IT. I think it’s so amazing how God uses his children to bring others into the body of Christ. During my time in ministry, one thing I’ve learned is how imperative it is to know the identity God has given you as a minister. During my time in ministry, I’ve had many different assignments. I’ve done everything from developing children’s programs, to cleaning toilets. If I’ve learned anything, I’ve learned how to bloom where I was planted and how to embrace every season. But, I didn’t always know how to capture the vision God had for me in that season.

 Several years ago, I was given the assignment of being a worship leader. I’m a classical trained singer and I love to perform, so I thought “this should be easy.” Boy was I naïve! Becoming a worship leader was hard. When I was promoted to worship pastor it became even harder! One thing becoming a worship pastor led me to do, was to get before God and ask him to give me a real vision of how he wanted me to lead worship. I needed spiritual guidance on who I was as a worship leader. I needed to develop a ministry identity.

When you’re called into ministry, it can be easy to think “I’m going to be a worship leader or a pastor or a youth leader.” And feel like the meaning behind that is cut and dry. But every leader must get before God and find out how He wants them to lead. I had to get before God and say, “Dad, what do the people who come to One Vision (my church) need when it comes to worship? What songs do we need to bring to you? How do you want the songs to be performed? What does this body need in terms of worship” It’s easy to think “I’m going to preach like T.D. Jakes,” or “I’m going to lead worship like Kari Jobe.” Yet the thing is, no one can preach like T.D. Jakes and no one can lead worship like Kari Jobe. Only they can lead like them and only you can lead like you.

It’s so imperative that you sit before the Lord and ask him how he wants you to lead in ministry and what your ministry identity should be. There’s a group of people who need what only you can give.

I hope this helps,

Myah

0 comments:

Post a Comment