Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Fertility, Sacrifice and John 3:16- (July 11, 2017)



John 3:16 is the first scripture I ever learned. From what I know, I can almost assure you it’s the first scripture many believers learn. When I was a child, as soon as a little tot said they’d accepted Jesus into their heart, the Sunday school teachers would teach them John 3:16. It wasn’t much different for adults at our church, when they came to know the Lord. Our discipleship program was very popular at my old church and one of the first scriptures people learned was John 3:16. This verse, so powerful and such a reflection of God’s grace and mercy is so commonly quoted, it’s sometimes referred to as cliché. Yet I can tell you when it comes to the word of God, nothing is cliché’.  As I look at this verse with woman eyes, I can say the power and beauty behind the scripture leaves me feeling so humbled.

Several years ago I was diagnosed with PCOS. It’s such a weird feeling to be a woman and confronted with the fragility of your fertility. Conceiving is not out of the question for me, as many women with PCOS do conceive. But the idea that it could be a faith walk, when the time comes is scary… and heart-breaking. I want to be a mother. In fact one of the meanings of my name is “mother.” So the idea that I could possibly be faced with fertility challenges is something I desperately try not to think about. When I look at John 3:16 and I consider my own desire to be a mama one day, I wonder: could I, for the sake of the salvation of humanity, have given up my child (or fertility?)  Could I have sacrificed my only son to save the souls of others? I’m going to answer you outright and tell you, I could not. Thankfully, I’ll never have to; but what astonishes me is the fact that God was so willing. He was willing to give Jesus up. To sacrifice his baby for my soul. The selflessness that took astounds me and leaves me feeling grateful.

I’m an unmarried woman, so for the time being having children is not a concern. However, I trust that in God’s timing I will one day conceive and birth children of my own. When I do, one of the first scriptures I will teach them is John 3:16. I want them to see how God surrendered His baby for them; so they know to never take his sacrifice for granted.

XOXO,

Myah Lonye'

0 comments:

Post a Comment