Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Allowing God to Change My Compass- April 18, 2017



I was sitting in my senior English class when God told me to stay home for college. While it was nearly a decade ago, I remember it so clearly. I sat in the back of the classroom and cried as I realized that God, the dream giver, was asking me to lay down a dream I’d had for many years. That afternoon, he spoke to me so loudly. I spent the next month crying and debating on whether or not I would obey. I heard him, but the choice was mine: keep my dream, or submit to his will. I submitted; but unbeknownst to me, I would have to submit many more times along the road.

A year later, he asked me to lay down my music aspirations, voice major included. I remember feeling like such a loser when I changed my major from English/Music to English/Sociology. I didn’t know why God was making me lay it down, but here I was feeling prompted to lay down another dream. But that wasn’t all. Don’t worry sister’s, God didn’t let me off that easy. Nope, he asked me to lay down my dream to be a business owner.  Owning a business was a dream I’d been working on since I was 14 years old. I’d watch my crafting colleagues become successful selling their wares online and at craft shows. People would see my items and comment “wow, such talent. These items are beautiful.” Then they would sit them down and go shop from the vendor at the next booth.

Everything I ever wanted, I felt like God asked me surrender. The surrender became so common that there were times I became afraid to even want things (marriage I’m talking to you.) I associated surrender with God stripping me from the opportunity to have my hearts' desires. What I didn’t see, was how every time I allowed him to change my compass, he was really shaping me into the person I really was. Now all these years later, I can see some of what he was doing. For instance, music (and let’s be real, fame) were such an idol. I never knew I had a desire or a call for worship until that idol was out of the way. And who knew I was called to get a P.h,D.?  Me? The girl who couldn’t wait to be done with college so I could be a full time business woman? If God had of given me some of the things I so desperately longed for, when I longed for them, I wouldn’t be in the center of his perfect will for my life.

Something that is so lovely about God is that he never “forces” us to surrender. In each of these instances, he kindly asked and kept asking me to surrender. I can’t tell you that surrendering to God’s will is easy. For the most part, it is not. I also can’t tell you that it will be easy to allow him to change the direction of your compass. Generally, It isn’t. But when we allow him to lead the way, the journey is so much more beautiful than anything we could have ever imagined on our own.

XOXO,

Myah

0 comments:

Post a Comment